It’s nearly time for my next trip to Iceland! We are doing the Ring Road trip which I l last did in 2006. I’m looking forward to getting out in the countryside again. These are the things I’m most excited about for this trip:
1. Whale watching for the first time! Much like the Northern Lights, you have to think of just looking for the whales as part of the fun and not be too disappointed if you don’t see, oh, I don’t know, a blue whale! How great would that be.
2. Seeing puffins again. Clearly I’m an animal lover but big flocks of puffins on cliffs are so fun to see, and watching them fly provides endless entertainment. They are such a small yet comical bird.
3. Mývatn nature baths – like the Blue Lagoon without the crowds. I think we were the only people there last time.
4. Going to the West Fjords albeit for one night only.
5. Akureyri. I don’t know why I find this place so appealing because it really is just a small town, but it seems like it would be a nice place to live and it’s in such a stunning setting.
6. Endless walking opportunities!
7. Trying new and interesting food. (read: trying not to eat just hot dogs and chocolate)
8. Visiting the Alafoss wool factory.
9. Having a much better camera than the last time I did this trip. I’m looking forward to getting some better pictures.
10. Hopefully being able to get one of those airport editions of Black Skies by Arnaldur Indriðason. (I’m such a book nerd)
Who know, maybe after the trip the actual top 10 best things end up being completely different.
If you have any suggestions for things beyond the obvious big attractions and close to the Ring Road I’d love to hear them. Or if you have any funny/horror/strange tales to tell from your Ring Road trip, feel free to share!